Sunday, July 6, 2014

05 May  2014
The month of transition has arrived. The weather is finally getting warmer and the days longer. I was almost stunned when we had three days of warm weather without wind. It seemed surreal and of course it did not last but for those three days then the wind returned.

During the month the Russells planted the garden in the second week hoping for no more freeze. Sure enough we got below 32 but was able to cover the young plants and avoid freezing. The grass is green and growing, the flowers are in full bloom and the trees have given off tons of pollen covering the car windows and street gutters.
So what else was happening in May? It was biking again. Dawn and I rode our bikes even in the wind. However, she wins the prize for effort beyond the call of duty. Saturday the 10th of May she rode with her cousin, Angie Bytheway and Angie’s two daughters in the “Goldilocks” bike ride in South Jordan, Utah. They planned to do 60 plus miles but because of bad weather and heavy winds they rode 45 miles and came in tired and cold.

We planted more strawberry plants given to us from the Crofts garden. We enjoyed to tulips for their usual two weeks of colorful life. The iris are getting ready to bloom and will be ready for Memorial day weekend.

I purchased a new hand gun. Chris Brayton and I were in Steel’s gun shop and saw a used 45 Colt Vaquero and I just could not pass it up. I got a cowboy holster off Ebay and now I am looking for a genuine cowboy hat. Dennis Croft and I have teamed up and soot west of Idaho Falls near the old National Guard range. Dennis, Chris Brayton, Alysa Brayton , Dawn and I have been to Rexburg shoot as well. Then Bryce Taylor and the Elders Quorum members invited me to shoot with them at the Taylor farm in Osgood.
The Taylor cinder pit was a perfect place to shoot. I loved Steve Parkers 50 caliber black powder muzzle loader. However, I did have one accident. I accidently shot my new chronogram while measuring reloaded shell velocities. Fortunately, I was able to reassemble the supports and render it functional again.

I must include the efforts of my brother, Woody in remodeling the office room in his home. He has built book shelves, computer desk, cabinet doors and picture frames with professional precision. I am amazed at how beautiful and professional he works in home improvements.

Finally, Memorial Day rolls around again and we visit our loved ones resting sites. We begin in New Sweden where many of my family are buried. My grandfather, Lloyd Russell and his wife Virginia are our first focus along with the new comer, Brian Lindbloom Hodgson (Dawn’s brother). Next we go to Shelley to visit the sites of the Sage and Ott family. Once we leave there we go to Jameston cemetery to pay our respects to Linda and her family. Nancy (Linda’s sister) has her grave site selected from the two I personally bequeathed to her. Her head stone is already in place and she is just waiting her time. She has breast cancer (as did Linda) and is not expected to live much longer. Lastly, we visit my father’s grave site in Idaho Falls at Rose Hill cemetery.
Well, that is May. Woody and I golfed at Sage Lake golf course today and it was lovely weather. There will be so much to report on in June and the rest of the summer will be very busy visiting relatives and having grand kids stay here with their grandparents.


Goldilocks

2014

Woody's new office

Memorial Day New Sweden Cemetery
Julia and Maurine Meppen Orme

Julia and Dawn Shelley Cemetery

Linda's grave Taylor Cemetery

Julia and Dawn Ben's grave

Viet Nam Memorial (Mike Priest)

Warm enough to make Kombucha

\
The first tulip in May

The first ride to New Sweden school

Shooting my new Colt 45

No comments: